To remain within the strict mental and social confines of a cult for even a short time can have the following disastrous effects:
- Loss of choice and free will
- Diminished intellectual ability, vocabulary and sense of humour
- Reduced use of irony, abstractions and metaphors
- Reduced capacity to form flexible and intimate relationships
- Poor judgement
- Physical deterioration
- Hallucinations, panic, dissociation, guilt, identity diffusion and paranoia
- Neurotic, psychotic or suicidal tendencies
“When you meet the friendliest people you have ever known, who introduce you to the most loving group of people youve ever encountered, and you find the leader to be the most inspired, caring, compassionate and understanding person youve ever met, and then you learn the cause of the group is something you never dared hope could be accomplished, and all of this sounds too good to be true-it probably is too good to be true! Dont give up your education, your hopes and ambitions to follow a rainbow.”
Ex – member of The Peoples Temple,
later found murdered.
Caring, loving, wholesome individuals and groups do exist. The call, however, is for discernment and a need to fully question all interesting groups before becoming involved and/or a member.